The one great thing about being a farmer is you know where your food comes from. For us “farm to table” is my favorite way to eat. We grow KAMUT® khorasan wheat, high oleic safflower and have access to a few chickens which are fed grain from the farm. We combine the eggs, oil and grain form the farm to create one of my my favorite pancake recipes. Not only is it really nutritious, it’s totally delicious, very economical and fun to eat. I mix up a batch at least once a week.
Try it sometime, my grandkids love it!
KAMUT® Brand Whole Wheat Sourdough Pancakes: Makes about 12 pancakes
- ½ cup cold liquid starter culture
- 1 ½ cups of KAMUT® wheat flour
- 1 ½ cup warm water
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (high oleic organic safflower is my favorite as we grow it and crush it on our farm)
- 1 egg
- Mix 3/4 cup of warm water, 3/4 heaping cup of flour and liquid starter (1/2 cup) in large bowl the night before – to create the sponge, let mixture set in a covered bowl at room temperature about 12 hours or until sponge has reached its peak
- Mix sponge to make it homogenous and remove ½ cup and put in covered jar in frig to preserve your starter (for best results use at least once per week)
- Mix honey, oil and egg in 3/4 cup of warm water and beat until everything is homogenized
- Sprinkle salt over sponge and gently fold in above mixture until it is well mixed then mix in the rest of the flour (a short ¾ cup) – When this is mixed in, add the baking soda and only stir enough to mix it in (if your pancakes are too thin add a little more flour and if they are too thick add a little more water to the batter) – try to stir the batter as little as possible and give it a few minutes to rise a little to give a little more rise in pancakes
- Spoon desired amount of batter onto hot oiled griddle (around 300 degrees or to your preference – cook to your liking (normally need to flip them when first bubbles appear) – a light golden color on both sides is best – serve hot with your favorite toppings